Friday, August 1, 2008

Nighty-Night

Kirk told me that I am wrong, but I almost feel like a bad parent. Tessa has learned that she has freedoms now that she is in her big girl bed. Freedom to get in and out when she pleases, freedom to walk out of her bedroom, freedom to play and read if she wants to. We typically push her door closed but not shut, so that we can check on her easily without waking her when we go to bed. Well, she now knows this also. So, we began shutting her door, nice and tight, so that she can't get out. And yes, I feel a little mean, but she needs to know that bedtime means bedtime, not coming and going time.

So, as I sit here and type, I can hear her rattling the doorknob, and knocking on the door. She is yet to make a sound (I have the moniter on) but is trying that door pretty good. I guess we just have to do what we have to do. After she falls asleep, we open the door again so that she can come out when she wakes up, but I still feel a little mean and a little sad locking her in. Hopefully she will learn to stay in bed soon so I won't feel so guilty :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally can sympathize with the guilty feeling but it really is the best way to teach her "bedtime is bedtime". We still do the same thing and Aiden has been in a bed for a while.